Thursday, February 28, 2013

Wearable Art: BY BEEP

I am really not a jewelry person...I have it, don't get me wrong...but not much, and I don't wear it often because I just don't remember to. I have my ears pierced but never have earrings in....Yes, it's that bad.  I often tell myself that I will start wearing them again--maybe someday.

The lack of adornments also has to do with the fact that I just find most jewelry to be bland, boring, and monotonous.  It is very rare that I come across something and say, WOW I have to have that because it's just that awesome.

I like bold jewelry. I have to be able to look at it as art....it has to say more than nothing, or even a little something.

I blogged about a necklace I purchased from etsy about a year ago.
Check out the pictures here: necklace.

Other than that, the only jewelry I've purchased were a pair of long feather earrings.

The other day I finally had some jewelry speak to me again. And I will, one day own a piece by this artist.  Her work is phenomenal.  Emily Haworth, from ByBeep, makes jewelry that tells a story....She says it herself right in her shop description--and she couldn't be more right.


The wearable art objects Emily offers are mixed media--she uses chipboard, paper (with loads of paper hardener to keep it all safe and sound), and metal.  And for these pieces, it's really all in the detail.  Rather than simply creating an icon, and hanging it from a chain, she gives each piece character and life.  They have this industrial-rustic fusion going on, along with a whole lot of whimsy (which is great for the imagination)....When I look at her work, my imagination runs wild.  The stories I tell myself, exist in the past, present and the future (sometimes simultaneously)....and they are always adventures.


My favorite pieces of her's are the ones that have the titles existing as a part of the jewelry--The titles signify that these are something more than a simple accessory.  They are works of art; a sort of visual literature.

Emily stated in an interview, that drawing is her passion, while jewelry-making is her hobby.  I really hope she continues making time for her hobby, because they ARE works of art--miniature sculptures that are accessible to the "(un)common man".

On a side note, her drawings and paintings are really quite awesome as well.  When you look at all of her work, on a whole, it's obvious that she has been doing this art thing for quite sometime.  Her style is developed and consistent; I would say that she has certainly branded herself successfully :)

Emily's drawings and paintings can be found here: http://www.emilyhaworth.com
You can purchase her wearable art here: www.ByBeep.etsy.com
And, you can get more insight into her and her craft here: FreshShop

No comments: